FIRST DIRECT CHECKING
First Merchants First Direct Checking
A checking account with premium benefits exclusively for employees for participating businesses or first responders and members of the military.
First Direct features:
- Earns interest starting at $2,5001
- CD interest rate bonus of 0.05% APY
- No annual fee on new Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOC)2
- FREE Special Checks
- Two Overdraft items waived per rolling 12-month calendar
- No minimum balance requirement and no opening deposit with direct deposit sign-up
- Complimentary retirement consultation
- Discount on residential first mortgage closing costs5
- Quickly and easily send money to friends and family with Zelle®. Available within our mobile app6
- 25% discount on Safe Deposit Box rental where available
- Free eStatements
- Free Official Checks and Money Orders
- Free ATMs nationwide with MoneyPass
- Overdraft Protection Transfers from any linked account
- Free Mobile and Text Banking
- Free Online Banking including Bill Pay (must be 18 years of age for Bill Pay)
- Free Enhanced MasterCard Debit Card with ID Theft Protection
- Samsung Pay and Apple Pay
- Employees of companies that participate in the First Direct Program
- All first responders, members of the military and those who work in the healthcare and education fields.4
How to keep it free:
Make one direct deposit of at least $200 monthly.3 Otherwise, $10 monthly maintenance fee.
Other service fees may apply. Please see our Banking Fees.
Check Rates and Open an Account Now.
Need help opening an account online?
1 In Interest tiers starting at $2,500. Interest is accrued daily and credited monthly.
2 Subject to credit approval.
3 Multiple deposits of less than $200 will not qualify. First direct deposit must be received within 30 days of account opening.
4 First responders include police, firefighters and paramedics. Military includes active members and veterans of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard and National Guard.Educational workers include any employee of a school system. Healthcare workers include physicians, nurses, emergency medical personnel, dental professionals and students, medical and nursing students, lab technicians, pharmacists, hospital volunteers, therapists and administrative staff.
5 Credit may only be applied towards closing costs and not applied as a principal reduction, or considered part of any minimum down-payment requirement, or be used towards cash back to the borrower at closing. May not be combined with any other offer or exceed third party contribution limits. First Direct account must be opened prior to the initial underwriting of the loan.
6 Must have a bank account in the U.S. to use Zelle.
Note: Annual Percentage Yield is abbreviated by APY.
Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.