In a current text scam, fraudsters send text messages or make phone calls to customers claiming to be from First Merchants. Fraudsters may try to create panic by claiming to alert customers to fraudulent activity. In some cases, fraudsters are able to “spoof” phone numbers so that it appears that customers are receiving a call from their bank, when they are not. During communication, scammers request that customers provide personal banking information, such as Online and Mobile Banking usernames and passwords as well as verification codes to gain access to customer’s accounts.
If you are enrolled in Online and Mobile Banking, First Merchants may contact you by text regarding your account activity. When First Merchants contacts you, we will never ask for your Online and Mobile Banking username or password, access codes.
If you are uncomfortable or suspicious, do not respond. Hang up. Call First Merchants Customer Service directly at 1-800-205-3464
Please be extra careful and aware. Here are a few reminders to help keep you safe:
- We will never ask you to repeat a code to us over the phone or ask for your Online and Mobile Banking username or password.
- If you get a phone call or text message from your bank, claiming that your account has been compromised, hang up and call Customer Service at 1-800-205-3464.
- Do not call back to a different number given to you by a caller claiming to be your bank.
- Never give information to unsolicited callers. First Merchants will never call you to request a code or ask for your Online and Mobile Banking username or password.
- Do not click on a link or button in an email unless you are absolutely certain that the sender is legitimate and who they claim they are.
- Fraudsters can “spoof” a phone number so that a call or message looks like it is coming from First Merchants.
- Monitor your account closely and notify us if you see anything suspicious.
Please protect yourself. If you have doubt or suspicion, hang up, do not respond to a text, or exit out of the email and call us at 1-800-205-3464.