Update Browser: you are currently trying to view the First Merchants site using an outdated browser. In our commitment to your security, and in keeping with industry standards, we no longer support the browser you are using. Learn more.

Report Fraud

Report Fraud

Suspect fraud? Contact us.

If you believe that you are a victim of identity theft with respect to any of your accounts or transactions with us, please notify us through any of the following channels:

  • Your local banking center
  • Your business account representative
  • Customer Service at 1.800.205.3464

Please provide as much detail as possible about the accounts or transactions in question including dates and account or transaction numbers along with any additional information you may be aware of.

Other contacts to consider if you have been a victim of a crime:

  • Alert your other financial institutions
  • Alert one of the three major credit reporting agencies
  • Report the crime to the FBI at www.ic3.gov
  • File a report with the local police or sheriff

Do you believe you've been a victim of identity theft?

The sooner you report suspicious activity on your account, the faster that First Merchants and others, including the authorities, can take steps to assist you. If you become a victim of fraud, take action immediately. Below are important steps in the process:

  1. Review your financial account statements and recent transaction histories to determine if fraudulent activities have occurred. Also, check your personal documents to determine if anything has been compromised. 
  2. Call First Merchants Customer Service at 1.800.205.3464 and let us know of any suspicious activities. Ask to have your account numbers, PIN and passwords changed immediately.
  3. Call any other financial institution that you do business with and do the same.
  4. Call your credit card companies and ask that all accounts be restricted or closed.
  5. If checks are missing from your check book, issue stop payments on any missing check.
  6. If your driver's license is missing, contact your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.
  7. If your Social Security card is missing, contact the Social Security Administration.
  8. File a report with your local police department and obtain a copy for your records.
  9. In detail document when, what happened, who you spoke with and include dates and times.


Have questions or need assistance? Just give us a call at 1.800.205.3464. Our Customer Service team is available weekdays from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. ET, and from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. ET on Saturdays.

Looking for a different number or an online form? Find it on our contact page.