Monday, March 23, 2020
Be Aware of COVID-19 Scams and Fraud
Unfortunately, fraud-related schemes associated with COVID-19 are on the rise, including a text scam. Fraudsters try to take advantage of times like this. Please be extra careful and aware. Here are a few reminders to help keep you safe:
- We will never ask you to repeat a code to us over the phone.
- If something looks suspicious, hang up and call us at our Customer Service phone number.
- Do not call back to a different number given to you by a caller claiming to be your bank.
- Do not click on a link or button in an email unless you are absolutely certain that the sender is legitimate and who they claim they are.
- Fraudsters can “spoof” a phone number so that a call or message looks like it is coming from First Merchants. Never call a number that is left in a message that is not our number below.
- Monitor your account closely and notify us if you see anything suspicious.
When you have any doubt or suspicion at all, hang up or exit out of the email and call us at 1-800-205-3464.